Venue: Vikrampur Vilage, Gwalior
(March 12, 2012)
SETU organized a campaign on “National Awareness for plantation & Importance of saving the Trees/ Forests” at ‘Vikrampur’, a local village near the city, in association with EPCO.
The event was set up with an objective to enlighten the local population about global warming, how important the trees are to us, the actual ways of plantation along with the conduct in which they can be taken care of & can be retained for a longer time.
The following pointers were discussed with the participants in detail:
1) Plantationof more and more trees can be a solution to Global warming.
2) Gardening can be also done at a smaller scale to initiate. It ranges in scale from fruit orchards, to long boulevard plantings.
3) Plantation (gardening) can be a way not only to promote greenery but it can also be a way to earn living, by growing seasonal vegetation or fruits perhaps and selling it in vegetable markets or ‘Sabzi Mandis’
4) Simple steps to be followed before, during and after the plantation :
5) Children’s contribution towards the plantation:
6) Keeping the outer surroundings & water bodies clean and pollution free.
7) Using of paper bags instead of poly bags.
8) Recycle & reuse of water, where possible.
9) Disposal of wastes into degradable (organic wastes) and non degradable for recycling.
For plantation, SETU distributed plants like Mango, Jack tree (Kathal), Manilkara zapota (Chikoo) trees etc, among the participants.Plantationdemonstrations were given to the crowd along with tips to maintain them for long term sustainability. Pamphlets/flyers were also distributed which covered all the related information. The reaction from the participants seemed positive and enthusiastic. They also contributed with more ideas of their own to address the issue.